A Non-Profit Group of Writers Helping Writers
- Semi-finalists will be announced at our June 1st, 2013, General Membership Meeting (GMM).
- Winners and "Honorary Mentions" will be announced and prizes awarded at our July 6th, 2013 GMM.
The total prize value of this contest is $500. Total cash prizes for this contest amount to $350. Non-cash prizes and services amount to an additional $150.
Prize Categories and values
- First Place (Best entry, overall) - $200 cash prize, judge's critique notes, Certificate of First Place Award;
- Second Place (second best entry, overall) - $100 cash prize, judge's critique notes, Certificate of Second Place Award;
- Third Place (third best entry, overall) - $50 cash prize, judge's critique notes, Certificate of Third Place Award;
- "Honorary Mention" prizes and Certificates of Merit will be presented to three additional entries, each with a prize value equal to $30.
The best entries will grab the interest of the judges on the first page, hold it for the next nine pages, and present the beginnings of a well-structured story in between.
- Preliminary judging begins after the contest is closed at midnight, Saturday, May 4th.
- Semi-Finalists will be announced at our June 1st GMM and those entries will be forwarded to our final judge at that time.
- Winning entries will be announced and prizes awarded at our Saturday, July 6th GMM.
- All decisions by our judges are final.
These rules are subject to change and can be updated. By entering this contest you agree to uphold and abide by the contest rules and regulations. Please continue to visit our Web site for contest updates.
Questions regarding this contest may be e-mailed to awgCONTEST@gmail.com Please type "Contest Question" in the subject line and include your name and e-mail address in the body of your message.
* * * * *
We've had a number of inquiries regarding Guest Speaker Larry Zerner the entertainment lawyer, so here it is:
An entertainment lawyer with entertainment industry experience. Starting out as an actor (yes, that's him in Friday the 13th Part 3) before going on to earn his law degree, firm principal Larry Zerner knows the entertainment industry firsthand and he appreciates the intricacies of entertainment law. His work as a top copyright lawyer has led to outstanding results for his clients. Larry has been a guest speaker at the AWG and is a long-time friend to the group. If you need legal advice, mention you’re an AWG member. It may not help but it sure can't hurt.
* * * * * *
Publisher Robert Jacobs of Jacobs/Brown Press (an imprint of Jacobs/Brown Media Group) is a true friend of the Alameda Writers Group. Through special arrangement with the AWG, group members are invited to contact publisher directly without the need of an agent.
Jacobs/Brown is a boutique publisher located in San Diego and, contrary to the policies of bigger houses, is dedicated to being a writer-‐friendly house, with better profit participation for authors, creative involvement, and less contractual restrictions.
AWG president Marc Cushman has experienced the business practices of major publishing house first hand, endorses Jacobs/Brown, and has put his pen where his mouth is … by recently signing with the publisher for a three-‐book deal. You can contact Robert at:
* * * * * *
* * * * * *
I want to say thank you to all who made today's meeting possible. It was my first meeting and It was wonderful! I made great contacts, read one of my poems, received great feedback, and heard excellent talks. Informative, insightful, and…Continue
Dear Friends who knew Donnie Dale.Donnie died Thursday,Nov 15. I had visitedhim two weeks ago and could tell he was going fast.Donnie and I were very close. Below is some info about Donnie and the funeralfrom the Freelance group that Donnie had…Continue